03 April 2008

Death...

I just found out a friend's brother was found burnt to death in his car. I don't know details as yet. He (the deceased) was not someone I knew well... more of a hi and bye kind of guy. But I was shocked to hear of it! R... my condolences to you and your family... may your brother's soul rest in peace.

This sort of brings me back to last weekend when we went for ching meng. Every year we do it, i am fine from my grandpa's grave to my grandma's grave even to my aunt's grave but the only place I go and it always gets to me is when we visit my cousin's grave. I have always felt that he was taken away from us in the prime of his life...

He was 33 years old then back in 1995. He was a Major in the Royal Malaysian Air Force. He was a Squadron leader. He just got married 2 years prior to his demise. He was one of two pilots who managed to beat the US Navy pilots in the war games. Imagine the F5e's beating the super high tech F14s! He was also supposed to lead the new (then) F/A 18 Hornets that the RMAF bought. That was how good he was as a pilot. I miss all the stories and his laughter.


How did he die? He was training a junior pilot on night landing procedures. Told the junior pilot to land first and no one saw him again... All they could find was some body parts. The only way we could identify him was through a watch we gave him for his birthday with an inscription on the back. No one really knows why but eyewitness reports that the jet engine in his jet just cut off. He was probably too low down to eject. Knowing him, he probably tried to save the jet!

I miss him...

Do not fear death so much, but rather the inadequate life. - Bertolt Brecht (1898 - 1956), The Mother, 1932

Live life to the fullest for you never know when your time may come...

Rest in Peace Major Lai Yit Fuen aka Ah Fuen kor kor... we have always been proud of you and will always be!

3 comments:

Bitch-on-a-rampage said...

I miss him too!
Remember how he taught us to move our ears?
And how he always brings the beer and stout for CNY?
I realy miss him...

Anonymous said...

Back in Form 4 or Form 5 d4 leaving Sultan Yussuf School for RMC, he gave a ride to an elderly Indian man and his good deed was known throughout the MTD community ... he has a heart of gold... and made US all so PROUD of him!

Dearly missed but NEVER forgotten!

mangchikla said...

hello i am currently researching on all F5 crashes in malaysia and unfortunately that included respectfully, the deceased Major Lai Yit Fuen RMAF. My sympathy. i wonder if u share with me any paper clippings, website addresses that explain in detail on the unfortunate incident. I am reachable at mangchik@gmail.com Again my condolensces and tq in advance, and have a good day.